Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The heavenly aroma still hung in the house

Thanksgiving is one week from tomorrow, and for most folks (excluding your humble narrator), it is the official kick off to the Christmas Season. This year I will be giving thanks at The Templeton residence. James & Natasha Templeton are opening their home to me, my Parents, and my roommate Travis (T-Bone, Buzz Saw, whatever you chose to call him). It is going to be a wonderful day filled with amazing food. Even though my mother will be doing most of the cooking, We are all going to do at least one dish. My contribution will be none other than the legendary Scotch Egg. I'm sure it is not typical Turkey Day fair, but I am convinced it will be a perfect pre-meal/Thanksgiving Parade watchin' treat!

I had heard of the mythical Scotch Egg for many years, but only have recently experienced it's goodness. In fact, not only have I experienced it's goodness, but I am now a master of it's creation! Yea, I recently had a Scotch Egg party with my gal-pals Kristin & Gabby. A Scotch egg is a hard-boiled egg wrapped in ground sausage coated in breadcrumbs, and then deep-fried. FOOD COMA GOODNESS.

Here is what you will need:
1 pound bulk sausage meat
3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 large egg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
5 cups fresh breadcrumbs
1 cup all purpose flour
6 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled
Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)

Here is what you do:
Mix sausage, chives, and parsley in medium bowl to blend. Whisk egg and mustard in bowl to blend. Place breadcrumbs in large bowl. Place flour in another bowl. Roll 1 hard-boiled egg in flour. Using wet hands, press 1/3 cup sausage mixture around egg to coat. Brush egg with mustard mixture, then roll in breadcrumbs, covering completely and pressing to adhere. Place Scotch egg on plate. Repeat with remaining eggs. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Add enough oil to heavy large saucepan to reach depth of 1 1/2 inches. Attach deep-fry thermometer and heat oil to 325°F. Add 3 prepared eggs to oil; fry until sausage is cooked through and coating is deep brown, about 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer eggs to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining 3 eggs. Slice in half and serve warm.

You can add different spices and herbs if you feel the spirit leading you. I believe I will make a hollandaise sauce to drizzle over the eggs...maybe...I'll let you know.

Here is a picture of me enjoying my eggs at the Scotch Egg party. Eye shutting goodness!




Enjoy!



2 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

ooh...there was a guy on top chef last nite doing a scotch egg! i just may have to try this...

mikey said...

Yeah I saw it, but I did it first