Friday, November 20, 2009

I can't get up. I can't get up! I can't get uuup!


Took a trip to the grocery store yesterday to see if I could find some Christmas candles. My search was not a success, as I am very picky about my aromas. I did however pick up a case of Sam Adams Winter Classics Variety Pack. I remember getting one of these bad boys last year for my Christmas party, but as in many a festive celebrations, everyone had sampled the best ones before I could try them, but that's being a fantastic host! anyway. I thought I would pick up another for me and my roommates to enjoy. Here is what you get in the box:

2
Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale
2 Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic
2 Samuel Adams Holiday Porter
2 Samuel Adams Winter Lager
2 Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat
2 Samuel Adams Boston Lager

First things first, Samuel Adams Boston Lager & Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat are NOT WINTER BREWS!!!! Jip!!! Does this sound like Christmas: Coastal Wheat beer is a twist on the Hefeweizen style. Brewed with Eureka and Lisbon varieties of lemon that balance the character of the malt blend, resulting in a crisp wheat beer with subtle lemon aroma and flavor. Anyway, they are good beers.

I have been a big fan of The Winter Lager for a long time. The Holiday Porter is a great dark beer.

Old Fezziwig is not just fun to say, but it is really tasty! Comprised of deep malt character ranging from sweeter toffee and caramel notes to the darker, roasty chocolate notes. Cinnamon, ginger, and orange peel are added to add to the taste of the holiday season.

The worst is the Cranberry Lambic, a Belgian-style fruit beer that draws its flavor not just from the cranberries it is brewed with, but also from the unique fermentation character imparted by a rare wild yeast strain. The result is a flavor rich in fruitiness and reminiscent of cranberries, bananas, cloves, and nutmeg. The yeast fermentation also creates a slight sourness on the sides of the palate, a signature of the original Belgian lambics. Just to sweet!

There are enough good beers in the box for the price, and it is a fantastic set to bring to a Holiday party!

1 comment:

CALAMITY JANE said...

old fezziwig!
i want to make your nog! if you know what i mean.